Welcome to Adjusters International/Basloe, Levin & Cuccaro
As the nation's premier disaster recovery consulting organization, our core focus is maximizing and expediting our clients' financial recovery from insurance and FEMA.
We have offices located in New York State in Utica, Syracuse, Albany, and Springville as well as in Portland, ME, Bedford, NH and Scranton, PA. We're experienced with the types of natural disasters that strike here, the companies that insure here, and how local claims are handled. We have the resources and expertise to thoroughly investigate your loss; accurately prepare, document and submit your claim; and get you a full, fair and expedited settlement.
Since 1908, Adjusters International/Basloe, Levin & Cuccaro has been guiding clients through the unpredictable territory of preparing and settling insurance claims. In 1985 we, along with a group of leading public adjusting firms in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, foresaw the need for an international network of highly skilled public adjusters who could bring specific expertise to servicing any type of loss, anywhere, at any time. Adjusters International was the result.
New E-Edition of Adjusting Today, Just Released
The latest E-Edition of Adjusting Today “Cosmetic Damage Exclusion Stirs Controversy” is now available! Penned by veteran claims professional and respected author Robert J. Prahl, CPCU, this edition ...
The latest E-Edition of Adjusting Today “Cosmetic Damage Exclusion Stirs Controversy” is now available! Penned by veteran claims professional and respected author Robert J. Prahl, CPCU, this edition along with its companion article, “Actual Cash Value for Roof Surfacing,” discusses the timely topic of cosmetic damage exclusions in homeowner and commercial property insurance policies. This matter is still unfolding, and time will tell whether such endorsements become standard or merely optional and used infrequently.
Your comments about this article, topic suggestions and continued feedback are always appreciated. Subscriptions to Adjusting Today are available in hardcopy format, electronic format, or both. Thank you for your readership.
Read full article
Frozen Pipes and Water Damage Claims
Water damage from an undetected leak can quickly cause considerable harm without warning to your home or business. Common causes of water damage are: Frozen or broken plumbing; ...
Water damage from an undetected leak can quickly cause considerable harm without warning to your home or business. Common causes of water damage are:
- Frozen or broken plumbing; and
- Leaking roofs or exterior walls.
The hours immediately following the discovery of water damage are critical to the restoration of your property and to the success of your insurance claim. You need to make certain that all of the damage is properly documented before you can start clearing out the affected property. Since mold and mildew can begin to form within 24-48 hours, starting the cleanup efforts should also be a top priority.
A few things you can do after a water damage loss occurs include:
- Protect your property from further damage It’s your responsibility to perform emergency work such as putting up tarps, removing wet drywall and carpeting to prevent mold, and boarding up openings. In the best interest of your recovery, it is best to use a certified mitigation professional.
- Beware of contractors asking you to sign a contract for non-emergency services Ideally you should not hire a contractor to repair your property until you have agreed on a repair/replacement scope of damage and an estimate of the pricing with your insurance company. Then you will know how much you have to spend on the reconstruction.
- Document the damage Photograph the scene, including the “debris pile,” before you begin any cleanup efforts. When estimating damages, do not rely solely on your historical records. Instead, secure current replacement cost estimates.
- Request a complete copy of your insurance policy Read and make sure you understand your rights and obligations under your insurance policy before entering into any serious discussions or negotiations with your carrier. Seek a claims professional to help you understand what your policy actually covers and, just as important, what it doesn’t.
- Document all of your activities and expenses Keep a log of all activities and save all receipts after the damage, including those for property replacement and extra expenses.
- Make decisions that are the best for the continuation of your business Policyholders often expect the insurance company to tell them what to do to save their business. Only you know your business and what’s best for your recovery.
- Hire your own experts The insurance adjuster sent by your carrier to evaluate the damages is working for the insurance company, not for you. It’s your responsibility to document and submit your claim. Make sure you have someone who thoroughly knows property insurance claims on your side to ensure a full, fair and expedited settlement — while you concentrate on maintaining your operations.
The experts at Adjusters International/Basloe, Levin & Cuccaro are here to help with both your recovery efforts and with your insurance claim. Our team is well versed in estimating damages and negotiating with insurance companies. Call us today at 877.482.1234 to see how we can be of assistance.
Read full article