Business Interruption Insurance Claims
Business interruption (business income) insurance can be critical not only to a company’s recovery, but to its very survival. The aim of business income insurance is to provide a business, whose operations have been interrupted by a covered cause of loss, with amounts equivalent to what the firm would have earned if the loss had not taken place.
When working through a business interruption claim, the policyholder and the insurer need to reach an agreement on a number of variables. Central to the claim is the period of interruption and for how long the insurer will pay on a business interruption claim. Clearly, the time required will vary not only by the amount of damage suffered but also by the nature of your company’s operations.
The manner in which the business interruption claim is handled will have a profound impact on your company’s ability to recover from a loss. Because aspects of business income claims can be very subjective, it is important for you to fully understand what your business is entitled to under the terms of your insurance policy.
Having a professional on your side can help to alleviate the burden of dealing with your business interruption claim. Our team of public adjusters, forensic accountants, and certified public accountants have years of experience in successfully negotiating business interruption insurance claims and loss mitigation. Our experts will help you achieve financial recovery and help to get you back in business quickly.
Listen to our podcast on “Business Income Insurance: Having and Understanding This Coverage” for tips from our experts:
For additional information about Business Income Insurance, visit:
- “Business Income Insurance Q&A Answering Tough Questions on Complex Coverage“
- “Business Income Insurance Having and Understanding This Coverage Can Be Essential to a Company’s Survival“
- “Four Rules for Measuring the Business Interruption Period“
- “Valuing Business Income Exposures: A Case for Blanket Business Income Insurance“
Contingent Business Income Insurance Claims
Contingent Business Income Insurance (also known as Dependent Property Coverage, or a Customer/Supplier Endorsement) is a specific endorsement available to business policy holders. It covers a business for its loss of income and other expenses resulting from total or partial suspension of operations because of physical loss or damage to dependent property that is not owned, controlled or operated by the business. This coverage is only extended when the loss is caused by a covered cause or peril within your policy.
In order to qualify for contingent business interruption, the following conditions typically must be met:
- Dependent property has sustained direct physical damage from a covered cause of loss or named peril.
- You must have contingent business interruption insurance and/or extra expense coverage as part of your business’ insurance policy.
- The property that suffered the damage was listed in your policy as a A) Contributing Location; B) Recipient Location; C) Manufacturing Location; or D) Leader Location.
- As a result of the above, your business has suffered a loss of income or incurred extra expenses.
With a staff that includes licensed public adjusters, certified public accountants, and forensic accountants, we have the resources and expertise to help you get everything you are owed under the terms of your contingent business interruption insurance policy. Call on us today for a free policy evaluation to see if you have the coverage necessary to file a contingent business interruption claim.
Additional Information about Contingent Business Income Insurance from Adjusting Today:
- “Japan Earthquake a Wake-Up Call for Contingent Business Interruption Coverage“
- “Contingent Business Interruption Issues Continue Following Disasters in Japan“